The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Phone: +852 54912391
2011.9 – 2016.6 The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Ph.D. in Life Science
2008.9 – 2011.6 Jinan University M.S. in Environmental Engineering
2004.9 – 2008.6 Hunan University B.S. in Environmental Science
Algal bloom • Plankton ecology • Trophic interaction • Stoichiometry
Experience & Research:
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Posdoc 2016.3 – 2017.8
1) Effect of temperature on the growth and grazing of mixotrophic dinoflagellate;
2) Effect of the silica content of diatoms on protozoan grazing.
PhD 2011.6 – 2016.6 Project: Ecophysiological study of Noctiluca scintillans, a red tide-causing dinoflagellate in Hong Kong coastal waters (RGC 2011-2013). Supervisor: Hongbin Liu Jinan University Master
2004.9 – 2008.6 Project:
1) The mixotrophic mechanism of the red tide forming dinoflalgellates (National Natural Science Foundation of China, 40806058 );
2) Mechanisms of HAB Succession and its Impacts on the Ecological Safety along China coasts (National Basic Research Program, 2010CB428702). Supervisor: Linjian Ou, Jufang Cheng
2013.9 – 2014.9 Teaching assistant coordinator
2012.1–2012.5 Teaching assistant for Animal Physiology laboratory
2013.1– 2013.5 Teaching assistant for Animal Physiology laboratory & Cruise
2012.10 – 2013.4 Conducted field survey in Port Shelter, Hong Kong for half a year.
2010.5 Attended the MC 2010-1 cruise of National Basic Research Program in East China Sea for 1 month
2009.11 Attended a cruise in South China Sea for half a month
1. Zhang S, Liu H, Glibert P, Guo C, Ke Y (2017). Effects of prey of different nutrient quality on elemental nutrient budgets in Noctiluca scintillans. Scientific Report 7(1):7622.
2.Zhang S, Harrison P, Song S, Chen M, Lau W, Guo C, Wu C-J, Xu J, Liu H (2017) Population dynamics of Noctiluca scintillans during a bloom in a semienclosed bay in Hong Kong. Marine Pollution Bulletin 121(1):238-248.
3.Zhang S, Liu H, Ke Y, Li B (2017). Effect of diatom silica content on protozoan grazing. Frontiers in Marine Science 4:202.
4.Ng, W.H.A., Liu, H., Zhang, S. (2017). Diel variation of grazing of the dinoflagellate Lepidodinium sp. and ciliate Euplotes sp. on algal prey: the effect of prey cell properties. Journal of Plankton Research 39:450-462.
5. Zhang S, Chan K, Shen Z, Cheung S, Landry M, Liu H (2016). A Cryptic Marine Ciliate Feeds on Progametes of Noctiluca scintillans. Protist 168: 1-11.
6. Zhang S, Liu H, Guo C, Harrison P (2016). Differrential feeding and growth of Noctiluca scintillans on monospecific and mixed diets. Marine Ecology Progress Series 549:27-40.
7. Zhang S, Liu H, Chen B, Wu C-J (2015) Effects of diet nutritional quality on the growth and grazing of Noctiluca scintillans. Marine Ecology Progress Series 527:73-85.
8. Guo C, Liu H, Yu J, Zhang S, Wu C-J (2014) Role of microzooplankton grazing in regulating phytoplankton biomass and community structure in response to atmospheric aerosol input. Marine ecology progress series 507:69-79.
9. Zhang S, Zhang Y, Ou L, Qi Y, Lu S (2012) Study on phagotrophic behavior of 6 harmful dinoflagellates on fluorescent labeled algae. Oceanologia ET Limnologia Sinica 43:602-608 (Chinese Journal with English Abstract). 10.Ou L, Zhang Y, Zhang S, Lu S (2012) Response of phytoplankton to phosphorus in the upwelling zone of southern Taiwan Strait. Journal of Shenzhen University Science and Engineering 2:148-153 (Chinese Journal with English Abstract).
11.Zhang S, Ou L, Lu S, Chen J (2011) Effects of light and nutrients on the phagotrophic behaviors of three harmful dinoflagellates. Marine Science 35:94- 99 (Chinese Journal with English Abstract).
1. The 8th International Conference on Marine Pollution and Ecotoxicology. Hong Kong, June 2016 Poster: “Population dynamics of Noctiluca scintillans during a bloom in a semi-enclosed bay in Hong Kong”
2. “Ocean Biogeochemistry” Gordon Research Conference. Hong Kong, June 2016 Poster: “Effects of prey of different nutrient quality on elemental nutrient budgets in Noctiluca scintillans”
3. "Marine Molecular Ecology" Gordon Research Conference. Hong Kong, Aug 2015.
4. ASLO 2015 Aquatic Science Meeting. Granada, Spain. Feb 2015 Poster: “Differrential feeding by Noctiluca scintillans on monospecific and mixed diets”
5. Second Xiamen Symposium on Marine Environmental Sciences (2nd XMAS). Xiamen, China. Jan 2015 Poster: “Effects of diet nutritional quality on the growth and grazing of Noctiluca scintillans”
6. Croucher Summer Course on Climate Change and Marine Ecosystems. Hong Kong. June 2013 (Poster Presentation) Poster: “Effects of diets on the growth and grazing of Noctiluca scintillans”